Do you know why people love their recent ski vacation? It's the fact that they are satisfied with the resort they chose. And, do you know the reasons why others regret theirs? It's the lack of preparation and knowledge of choosing the right ski resort.
As a result of their unpreparedness and lack of knowledge, they waste big bucks and regret for the loss of what could have been a dream vacation.
If you don't want this to happen to you, know these things:
Ski resorts differ
Ski resorts vary from one another. Although most ski resorts provide skiing facilities, it's the terrain that matters.
For instance, resorts like La Grave and Chamonix in France, and St. Anton in Austria attract more extreme skiers than families because they have more extreme mountains. While beginners and skiers who enjoy small and easy slopes, can try Boyne Highlands in Michigan.
Other resorts, however, are more popular for their “off-snow activities”, than their skiing facilities. Each resort is basically has different amenities to offer. Some even offer everything from spa treatments to sledding to shopping.
Features of a good ski resort
- Accessibility to mountains. This means having a variety of terrain and ski school for adults and kids that nurtures a love of the sport and the mountains.
- Has good backup facilities. Like rental shops that supply the needs of the guests to fully enjoy their day on the slopes.
Things to remember
Before dealing with any ski vacation package, keep in mind the following:
- How are they going to travel? Will they fly you to your ski resort or will they drive you near the place?
- What level of skiers are going with you? Experts or all beginners?
- Are there any kids? Does the resort have a ski school? Do they have childcare facilities?
- What other activities would the group enjoy? Night life? Shopping?
- Where do you want to stay? On the mountain or farther away?
Avoid selecting a resort because of its name recognition. Just because it is well known, doesn't mean it's right for you.
A money-saving secret for ski vacations
The secret is... knowing the right time to have the best deals.
How? Take advantage of early or late ski seasons because these times, many ski resorts offer discount rates for everything: from tickets to lodging.
Check also the website of your ski specialists for more information. You might even get discounts during peak seasons or at times you feel like hitting the slope.
One final note
Have a ski school lesson. You may save money if you won't, but you'll regret it if you regret get stuck in the mountains and don't know what to do. Don't rush yourself when you are in the mountain. Get yourself a day or more to acclimate and drink plenty of water.
Enjoy the mountain and everything that the resort has to offer. Remember that a ski vacation is a vacation; it should be relaxing!